Monday, August 17, 2015

Demos from Hope's Watercolor Workshop


Hello! Here are two workshop demos. I think I'd title the top painting something like "Who Says Sunflowers Have To Be Yellow?!?"
The bottom painting is unfinished, yet I believe it says what it needs to say. My point is that many times in art, or watercolor, less is more! :-)

I've had a few questions about the palette (or paint colors) we used in our workshop.  Basically, I used a warm and a cool version of each of the primary colors, plus a few others. These colors vary from manufacturer to manufacture. That’s all good, it just takes experimenting until you find the specific colors you enjoy. Some of my favorite paint companies (or manufacturers) are Winsor & Newton, Daniel Smith, Holbein & Schminke. However, there are several others that are also top quality. Here is the basic palette I used:

Aurelian Yellow
Cadmium Yellow
Alizarin Crimson or Permanent Rose or Rose Madder Genuine
Cadmium Red
Cadmium Orange
French Ultramarine Blue
Cerulean Blue
Burnt Sienna or Indian Red
Raw Sienna

Making Colors Sing by Jeanne Dobie is a wonderful book focusing on practical lessons in color and design. Jeanne shares fun lessons on mixing beautiful colors. This is available on Amazon.com

Let me know if you have other questions. Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment