Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Green Streak

This painting idea has been brewing for about a year(!) since doing  a plein air study at the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden in Des Moines. The day was a gorgeous Iowa summer day, the panoramic skyline was fun from this spot. What bugged me was all of that green grass in the foreground! Artists who paint Iowa summer landscapes can relate to how hard mixing a believable, interesting green is. My greens tend to look like they came right out of the tube - as sometimes that color DOES appear as a Sap Green mixed with a bit of Hookers Green.

My solution above was to imagine a sunset hitting all of that perfectly mowed, Hookers Green grass. (BTW, that is really a paint name)

Below are 2 artists that have helped me with my Green struggles:
Jeanne Dobie - Viridian + Aureolin + a touch of Indian Red (various grayed or warm reds work here)
Janet Rogers- adds a bit of Cobalt Violet Light to her greens


No comments:

Post a Comment