Monday, March 4, 2013

Rusack's Roses by Sunset

Since coming to California I've heard many people complaining about the multitude of plein air painters (and paintings) in California. This seems a non-issue to me. I see bucolic scenery in about every hour of the day here.

As a painter, it's not a matter of recording what I see around me. It's the challenge of taking what I feel  when I'm confronted with this beauty and translating these feelings onto a two dimensional surface.

BTW, these roses jumped out at me when I was driving down Ballard Canyon Road. The old vines were dripping with pink roses that were backlit by the setting sun. My car pulled itself over and insisted I get out with my easel. What great memories I have of squinting into this scene as I tried to capture all of those colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment