Wednesday, February 29, 2012

While it's drying....


"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things."
   Edgar Degas

This is the 2nd in a series on African textiles. Don't worry if you don't 'get it', this painting is not at all finished.  I have decided to write about this while it is drying as I have a new problem here - my focal point may be changing! I was painting a very wet-into-wet background and stopped this long enough to paint the three oranges. Well, the oranges were to be 'back-up' singers, but I love them! Now, that changes everything as I fear I have made these too important for the lead singer to shine. "Well, where is the lead singer?" you might be asking....that may be part of the problem here. I hadn't decided. I loved the white parrot tulips (not yet painted) AND the African textile that is going to be entering the background.

Lesson learned - decide exactly what your focal point will be before beginning the painting. I am hearing so many teachers in my head right now "Karen, do your homework!"

No comments:

Post a Comment