Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Path of Light

Day 14 and I'm almost halfway through this challenge! You may remember this scene as I did a plein air study or painting a month or so ago of the La Purisima Mission in Lompoc, California. I'd been wanting to see what I could do with this in my studio and today was the day!

My main thought with this painting is that people frequently ask me 'what I paint' when I first meet them. This painting may be the best answer: To me this painting is not about the mission itself, but the spectacular lighting that I stumbled upon and later as I was painting in this shaded hallway I also hoped to capture the coolness of the shadows on a very hot day.

2 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful Karen! I love the light and the shadows, he blues and the yellows. Really a stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen this is a wonderful view at La Purisma, all of those columns and arches and the textures and light there. You caught it very well!

    ReplyDelete