Monday, January 12, 2015


 This past week I heard of the passing of one of my childhood friends. These orange roses seemed a perfect subject for my feelings. It gave me comfort to paint and absorb the fading beauty while reminiscing of times past.
Watercolor/gouache. The flowers and leaves are only watercolor. The vase, leaves and background were painted first in gouache, then I painted over the gouache with more watercolor in different hues. The gouache lifted a bit, making the background cloudy and mysterious.

PS Here is a beautiful poem written by another friend when he saw my painting. Thank you Ivan!
A soul has passed that solid grid we all deny with reverent respect to somber, undefined hereafter;  my friend, a floating blossom from a bouquet of life, a vase of ample nurture left behind.   

Ivan Volkoff

No comments:

Post a Comment